Tuesday, December 26, 2006

That Time of year...

This year is the first year I have ever spent Christmas away from Dad, Mom or Gia in some way or another...

This surreal moment is compounded by the fact that Maia and I went to the bank, and rented a movie after going to the store... Just another Monday here in Japan...

You see, Christmas is not a public holiday, it's treated like Valentine's Day or Hollowe'en, it's a cool day for Japanese couples to exchange cakes (Yes, cakes), and go on dates. But nothing closes.

Luckily, the schools are on Winter Break, so at least we had the day off... but not because of Christmas, but because we have two weeks all to ourselves.

We (Maia and I, since we are both on break) have been watching the new Doctor Who and this morning I idilly pondered how it would be awfully nice to have some sort of space ship that would allow me to instantly transport home, for just a little bit and eat some turkey and head back here to resume my walkabout...

Then it occured to me that walking about just wouldn't the same without the distance...

I wouldn't learn as much, I wouldn't go as far, I would grow if there wasn't a 16 hour flight between me and turkey and dressing.

Once again I realize that it's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

Merry Christmas, my dear Family, I know some of you are buried in a blizzard, I hope you can get moving to see people... For the rest of you, please have a wonderful and safe Christmas Holiday! :D

---Me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sobrino;
I have spent many Christmases away from home and family so I know somewhat of how you feel. But...I have the memory of last year when we spent it together. Yes it's been another year...remember how much fun we had though....like Janes brother praying so long we thought we would never get to eat?
Talked to Gia yesterday and she actually went in to work. This may be the first time you were all apart. I think your father was quite lost. Just know that we love you and had you and Maia in our hearts.
Tio and Tia

9:14 PM  
Blogger DrHeimlich said...

I think you're right -- if you weren't so isolated, the experience would not be as profound for you. Of course we all miss you very much, but we also know how much you're getting out of your time abroad.

I hope the cake was good. :-)

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home