Monday, June 16, 2008

Irony

Okay, so... You all know what my degree is in, right?

I finally get to use it! Yay! I love animating! It makes me happy and Zen and all kinds of wonderful :)

And...

In an interesting twist of irony, I'm working on Starship Farragut's Animated episodes... They pulled me in after seeing my Tamerlane work.

I'm working in Filmation style!!!!

For those who didn't grow up with me; Many many years ago, when I was a young lad, I believed that Filmation had wrecked the very nature of Star Trek with their Animated Episodes. I was vocal, I was whiney... I was a pest. Yes, I was that 14-year-old snot-nosed know-it-all which would go on for hours about how Filmation was the bane of all existance...

My tone changed when I went off to college and learned why Filmation's style was so simplistic. Short production times and tiny budgets led to reusing cells and backgrounds and music. It worked for fast, cheap animation.

I also learned that it's not the vehicle that counts, the story's the thing. Filmation may have been simple, but the story was told very well.

Anyway, Farragut is trying to faithfully reproduce the Filmation Star Trek Animated Episodes (TAS) style. And they are doing an amazing job! The attention to detail is top-notch.

It'll look great on my resume! And it is still extremely Zen for me to just sit there, drawing frame after frame after frame... I am astonished that I never realized this is where I belonged before...

If you want to see what they are up to, here's their preview site:

http://www.farragut-animated.com/

--DaAnimator

(Edited when I realized this didn't paint a good light on the Farragut team, which, of course, was not the point I was trying to make when I wrote this post... I've got to learn to be more careful about blogging...)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of offending you by my lack of reverence...

Cute stuff! :-)

-- Mal.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh?

John Broughton
Executive Producer, Starship Farragut
www.starshipfarragut.com

12:59 AM  
Blogger Aabh said...

Hey there John! :D

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are working on Animated Farragut. I'm looking forward to seeing the premiere. It's been a long journey, but the end is in sight.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home