Friday, June 23, 2006

Precious moments part one

Lunch time today.

Since we are on the short road to the Interactive Conference, I am usually working with my Interactive English Team preparing them for the conference...

But tomorrow is the big sports competition. And thus, all clubs are concentrating on their club activities.

So, I'm free.

I grab my big fuzzy die (It's about twice the size of the ones folks put up in their rearview mirror, with different colors on each face) and I head out to play one of my favorite games; "What's the number?" In English, of course. :)

I find Genki-Chan crying right off the bat. Her friend tells me that it's because she is suffering from a broken heart...

So, I give Genki-chan a "Chin up" and leave them alone...

I go by the "Special Classroom" and discover that it looks like Mouse-chan and the older "Special" children are all just sitting there, staring at the wall... (Direct-kun was absent today) They look totally miserable.

I open the door (They had the doors closed, too... it's 30 degrees outside! It has to be, like, 35 or 40 inside... Okay, so maybe it just feels that way to my Colorado blood...). So I go into the room (Leaving the door open behind me... the windows in the hallway are open, so there's airflow now...).

Mouse-chan jumps up as soon as I walk in and she wants to see the dice. The nice thing is that the older kids have already played the dice game with Mr. Second year and I (Ms. First Year is in charge of Mouse chan's class, so we don't play dice there...). It's recess, and I'm feeling generally overheated and thus generous, so I don't actually play the number part, we just throw the die around the classroom and catch it. They are laughing and smiling and having a lot of fun...

I leave when the bell rings, and they are happy as kids can be. Smiles all around.

They pay me for this job :D

---Me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorino...I'm a little behind...just read all the comments
about education in three countries.
You and your friends are much too
intelligent for me, however...having been a history teacher for many years I will say that rote can have it's place, but I tried very hard to stay away from it. For instance, it was not important to know Colombus..1492..but what was happening in the world and why 1492. But in some instances I support rote memory..spelling for instance..we learned to spell by rote, but we also learned the meaning and how to use the word,thus combining rote with cognitive skills. So can we talk about rote by itself or are we leaving out what we were learning in connection with it.
Tio

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home